The Sicilian ceramics sector has several competitive advantages which can be summed up as follows:
- an on-going capacity for innovation, research and development of new products;
- wide availability of specialized labour - the sector has 24 art institutes and 4 universities - a hothouse of maestri d'arte (art masters);
- the Science and Technology Park created by the Ministry of Universities and Scientific Research, which has made a series of instruments and equipment available for experimentation work on materials;
- the recognition of D.O.C labels (Registered Designation of Origin) and DE.CO.P labels (Designation of Town of Origin), designed to "sustain and protect the heritage of traditions, knowledge and experience of ceramics";
- two production districts recognized by the Regional Authorities;
- a strong image on an international level;
- the Regional Museum of Ceramics in Caltagirone and other important museums such as Salinas in Palermo, S. Stefano di Camastra, Patti and Sciacca.